Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author
[EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU]
Topic: Geeti Ara [Begum Bashir Ahmad]  (Read 559 times)
admin
Administrator

Ranking: 200

Looking for some members that can help other students in Studies

« on: November 10, 2010, 07:04:35 PM »

Geeti Ara [Begum Bashir Ahmad]

Begum Geeti Ara Bashir Ahmad, daughter of Sir Muhammad Shafi, was born in August 1899. She received her early education at home and later joined the Queen Mary College, Lahore, from where she matriculated. In 1917, she was married to Mian Bashir Ahmad.

She was one of the active workers of the Anjuman-i-Khawatin-i-Islam. During the Balkan wars, she actively participated in the Muslim women gatherings and collected funds. She also worked on the various women committees appointed by the Anjumn-i-Himayat-i-Islam, Lahore. She was a member of the All-India Muslim Women's Conference and finance secretary of the provincial branch of the All-India Women's Conference.

In 1939, she was taken on the working committee of the Punjab provincial Muslim Women's sub-committee and was later elected its president. During the 1946 elections, she toured from place to place for propagating the League cause and through by press by issuing statement to women to vote for Pakistan.

During the civil disobedience movement, she organized and led several women processions and during the time of the mass transfer of population, she worked as president of the Lahore Women's Refugee Relief Committee.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: